Thursday, February 2, 2012

Oh Scrap!

Scraps - we all have them and we all cannot bare to throw them away!  While re-organizing (see my last post), I recently found some fabric strips leftover from one of my mother's quilting projects (I cannot even throw away other people's scraps!!!).  So I took the opportunity to create something. 

A fun, colorful fabric coaster - to set my drink on while I am scrapbooking in my craft room.


Super simple instructions for those of you who would like to use up some of your fabric scraps:

1.  take 3 strips of fabric that are the same length (I used scraps that were approximately 2 1/2" x 44" each, but you can tie shorter scraps together to get the length you need).
2.  knot one end and braid the three strips - knot again once finished braiding.  My braid ended up being about 28" long.  HINT: don't braid too tightly; you want a little stretch to it.
3.  using a needle and thread, start at one knot and sew the braid to itself in a spiral pattern (this knot will be the very center of your coaster).  My coaster ended up being approximately 4" in diameter.

I'd love to see what you're ideas are for using up fabric scraps (because you know I have more) so post a comment and/or link so we can check it out!

2 comments: