Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Drawing and the Toy

For those of you that don't know, Pinterest is a very dangerous site for the craft addicts out there.  And I finally fell prey to one of the pins I came across.  There is this wonderful blog by a woman who creates stuffed toys based on childrens' drawings.  Apparently her waiting list is super-dooper long, so I thought "I'm crafty; I can totally do this on my own."  And so it begins...

Here is the drawing that my son made.  This is Mete-Or.


We decided that the drawing of Mete-Or was a good size (about 6x12 inches)
so all I had to do was trace out the pieces directly from the drawing as my pattern.


and then the fun task of embroidering all of the details


Once the details were all stitched, I was able to sew the backside to each limb, turn right-sdie-out, and stuff with fiber-fill.

 


I then attached each limb to the front of the body, sewed on the back, and filled the body before stitching Mete-Or closed.


Here he is: Mete-Or as a drawing and stuffed toy!

A couple of things:
1.  I will definitely be doing this again.  My son absolutely loves it and now my other son is begging for one (he is still creating his perfect drawing though).
2.  I'd be happy to do this for others - leave me a comment and we'll work it out.
3.  You can check out the blog that inspired me at Child's Own Studio

3 comments:

  1. Allison this came out AMAZING! My niece and nephew are ALWAYS drawing the most adorable little characters and I would LOVE to have them turned into a keepsake for them...I am going to PM you at SC.com. JUST AMAZING! You little guy is very talented! {he must get it from his Mama!}
    -Jazz-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable! Love it! I know what you mean about Pinterest. It's addictive, but so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea... but you are so much more adventurous than I! I don't think I would even attempt to do this.... and I sew!!! hehehe.

    ReplyDelete