I know it may seem a little strange, but I have been collecting ideas and items for our annual birthday party already. For those of you who don't know, all three of my boys' birthdays fall within 2 weeks (late Sept / early Oct) so we always have one big party. One party means one theme. And I always let them choose the theme... as long as they choose before summer hits.
A big party for three little boys, family, and friends takes a lot of planning. So I like to break it up over about 6 months. I know, CRAZY! Pinterest has definitely made the "idea development" part of the planning more streamlined, but I still like to wander the stores and websites periodically to find those clearance steals that you cannot plan for. Just because I have one party for 3 boys does not mean my budget is 3 times bigger.
This year's theme is ROBOTZ - but not OUTERSPACE. Do you know how difficult it is to find robot items that do not also include spaceships? Who decided that all robots come from outerspace?
So here is what my frugal shopping has achieved thus far:
1. Robot Valentines (which will become invitations) 32 for $1
2. Robot Coloring Books (full size) 15 for $3
3. Robot Pencils and Pencil Cases 16 for under $8
4. Robot Finger Puppets 16 for $2
5. Stretchy Robots 16 for $2
6. Robot Notebooks (5x7) 15 for $6
7. I will obviously be buying some sort of robot candy (I like the options that Oriental Trading Co has) and that will complete my goodie bag items. I am still looking for a "deal" on this item.
I am a huge fan of letting the kids pack their own goodie bags. Three years ago we did this for our Pirate Party. I gave each child a pirate map and sent them on a scavenger hunt around the yard to find their pirate booty. It was a fun activity for the kids and it was one less thing I had to do to prep for the big day. I am still working out my Robot-theme scavenger hunt, but it is definitely going to happen.
I am sure I will be posting more about this throughout the coming months, so check back often!